A Complete Guide on Fish and Chips for Every Diet
Fish and chips are one of the most popular food items in Australia. According to the latest research, Australians eat more than 500 million servings of fish and chips each year.
In the capital of NSW, there are more than 400 fish and chip shops because it is popular among locals, tourists, kids and adults. Being a comfort fast food item, many food joints in Sydney have been selling it with different sauces.
However, this junk food has transformed into a healthy and vegan option with the innovation of new-age chefs. If you are health conscious but want to enjoy your favourite dish without guilt, try out the following options.
You can explore gluten-free, low-carb and vegan fish and chips in this article below:
1. Gluten-Free Fish and Chips
This is a great alternative to traditional fish and chips dish that is designed especially for gluten-sensitive persons. If you have celiac disease, then try out a gluten-free dish that is prepared using the following ingredients:
- Chefs use firm-fleshed white fish like Pollock or cod for crispiness and tenderness.
- Gluten-Free Flour: Replace wheat flour blend with a combination of gluten-free options, such as rice flour, chickpea flour or almond flour. These are nutrition-rich and give crispy coverage.
- Basic seasoning: Sprinkle salt, paprika and pepper to enhance the taste.
- Use High-Smoke Point Oil: You can use peanut oil for frying your fish.
You can try out other gluten-free products that are healthy and delicious.
2. Vegan Fish and Chips
Yes, you can enjoy fish without even consuming a fish. Try vegan fish and chips because it is a plant-based alternative that offers a delicious and authentic taste.
By using plant-based ingredients,, such as Portobello mushrooms, tofu and heart of palm, you can prepare the same texture and flavour of fish without affecting your vegan values. Here are some of the key ingredients chefs in Sydney use to prepare vegan fish and chips:
- Plant-based fist: use extra-firm tofu to replicate the texture and taste of fish. Portobello mushrooms also give a great taste after the frying process.
- Vegan Crumb Coating: Use a combination of rice flour, chickpea flour and breadcrumbs to add a more crunchy texture to your fish.
The best part is that you can use the same ingredients to make plant-based burgers at home.
3. Low-Carb Fish and Chips
Are you on a low-carb diet? If yes, then you can still eat your favourite fish dish without any guilt. Of course, the traditional recipe has a high carbohydrate content because of the chips. But this low-carb alternative is a great option.
You can use sweet potatoes instead of regular ones and bake them in a microwave for extra crunch. This is a much healthier option. Also, you can use zucchini to make it healthier.
There are many restaurants and cafes in Sydney, NSW, offering low-carb fish and chips at the best price.
4. Healthy Dipping Sauces
You can’t miss out dipping sauce when ordering your favourite fish and chips dish. Unfortunately, traditional tartar sauce or malt vinegar can be unhealthy as these are high in sugar and calories.
Instead, you can make healthy choices to balance your indulgence with this delicious food:
- Lemon Juice
- Greek yogurt
- Cashew dipping
- Honey and sesame seeds
Treat your taste buds when enjoying plant-based fish and chips with the best dipping sauce. You can add herbs, fresh citrus zest and spices to balance the flavours. These sauces can enhance Sydney’s culinary delights as well and give you the best food experience.
Additional tips to prepare this classic dish for every Diet
Here are some of the best hacks that every professional chef uses when making fish and chips for every Diet:
- It is good to use high-quality and fresh fish that can give you quality taste and juiciness.
- Season the fish with pepper, salt and your favourite herbs and spices
- Coat the fish with flour mixture to add the crispy texture or outer layering
- Bake instead of frying your fish if you are on a low-calorie diet
- Serve immediately using your favourite dipping sauce.
If you want to eat your favourite burger, visit the best fast food joint in Sydney, NSW and also enjoy different types of dishes.
These are some of the best alternatives to traditional fish and chips dish that can be consumed by everyone. Whether you are gluten-sensitive, calorie-conscious or vegan, try out these options and enjoy your favourite dish.